Wheelchair transportation safety standards exist for global use within the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) that are developed and maintained by international experts in a working group under Technical Committee 173, Subcommittee 1, Working Group 6. These ISO standards overlap significantly with the North American standards as indicated below.
- 10865-1 (similar to WC10) Wheelchair containment and occupant retention systems for accessible transport vehicles designed for use by both sitting and standing passengers – Part 1: Systems for rearward-facing wheelchair-seated passengers. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization, 2012.
- 10865-2: addresses wheelchair spaces in LATVs for forward-facing passengers and places a high emphasis on independent use.
- 10542-1 (similar to WC18) Technical systems and aids for disabled or handicapped persons – Wheelchair tiedown and occupant-restraint systems – Part 1: Requirements and test methods for all systems. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization, 2012.
- 7176-19 (similar to WC19) Wheelchairs: Wheeled mobility devices for use in motor vehicles, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- 16840-4 (similar to WC20) Wheelchair seating – Part 4: Seating systems for use in motor vehicles. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization, 2009.
You can purchase ISO standards from the ISO webstore.